After many many talks in academic institutions that i attended last 5 years, I was trying to figure out a “formula of success” to get funding. I realized that the number of people who are able to generate genius and creative ideas is very little but whole “academic army” can get funding from the government anyway. So finally i came up with the following recipe (not for talented guys like me):
1. do intensive literature search and attend a lot of talks;
2. pick the hottest current topics (you can use one of analytical tools for it)
A – stem cell
B – iPS
C – microRNA
D – RNAi
3. pick the most unknown or the most controversial spots in A-B-C-D
4. mix (very well) 2 and 3, and do brainstorming
5. the most important is dressing (!): your mixture is only one reasonable and advanced solution for treatment of patients suffering from devastating diseases!
6. write (grant, proposal, review, novel…) and at the same time try to get some preliminary data to support your claims…
7. apply and hope to get money
8. if this doesn’t work, try from any of the steps above again.
It’s little bit sarcastic but true.